“I speak three languages fluently: business, technology, and law. Science and legal degrees, combined with 15 years of intellectual property experience, generate positive results for my clients.”
Business clients rely on my litigation experience to mitigate risk and help keep them out of court. Whether it’s a well-written contract or an effectively handled negotiation, I work to protect your business assets and build your enterprise value.
I provide legal counsel to businesses of all sizes, from start-ups to large corporations. Understanding the science behind the technology allows me to provide the most valuable, effective, and cost-efficient legal solutions.
Creating an intellectual property strategy, I will help you identify, monetize, and protect your assets. If need be, we will enforce your intellectual property rights to safeguard your business and uphold the barriers to entry that strengthen your competitive advantage.
Regarding your business technology, I will assist you in comprehensively analyzing the applicable laws, from websites and e-commerce to smartphone apps. From there I can help you navigate compliance issues, develop internal efficiencies, mitigate risk and liability, and maximize the value of the technology so your business can flourish.
I find it personally and professionally rewarding to help people build their businesses.
- Advising major medical device manufacturer in intellectual property and privacy and data security issues
- Advising one of North America’s largest food companies on forward-looking intellectual property issues, as well as developing tools to guide product development and streamline in-house legal affairs
- Representing one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies in ANDA litigation arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act
- Representing a celebrity inventor, patent holder, and entrepreneur in enforcing her intellectual property
- Representing Fortune 500 food company regarding its investments in small innovative food companies
- Representing custom corporate goods and promotional products company in negotiating trademark merchandising license agreement with Uber
- Representing large manufacturing company in negotiating and implementing collaboration agreements, and other intellectual property-related agreements
- Regularly counsel clients regarding terms and conditions and privacy policies for websites and apps
- Regularly counsel clients regarding end user license agreements for software and apps, including for use in health care industry
- Regularly counsel clients in selecting and registering U.S. trademarks, and obtaining copyright registration for artistic works
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, 2003
- B.S., Molecular Genetics, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1999
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Minnesota State Bar
- Minnesota Federal Bar
- S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- “Privacy and Data Security,” U.S. Bank CPE, presented November 10, 2016
- “Social Media Rules of Engagement: Developing Policies for Health-Related Organizations to Effectively Engage Audiences Online,” Panelist, May 26, 2011
- “Practical and Ethical Issues of Legal Outsourcing,” Michigan State Bar Annual Meeting, presented September 18, 2009
- “IP Offshoring—Don’t Worry You Won’t Lose Your Job,” BPG Radio, www.bpgradio.com, January 30, 2008
- “The Inventor Who Died and Other Mysteries—Resolved,” Intellectual Property Today, Vol. 15, No. 1 (January 2008), pp. 36–38
- “Using Copyright and Trade Secret Law to Protect Patent Applications: Either Or No More,” The Patent Lawyer, Vol. 2, Issue 1 (Spring 2005), pp. 4–7
- Business Law
ADDITIONAL AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Data Security and Privacy Law
- IP Enforcement - Internet and Social Media
- Buying and Selling Data