Lloyd SternAttorney, Of Counsel
“I endeavor to gain an understanding of the unique goals and aspirations of each client in order to provide them with sound, practical and efficient solutions.”
I have deep experience in the fiduciary administration of complex trusts and estates.
For over 20 years, I have administered trusts and settled hundreds of high value estates involving complicated tax, accounting and valuation issues as well as managing the distribution of assets. I have gained a thorough understanding of the estate/trust business, and I know what works. In addition, I am proficient in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), serving as a qualified mediator and arbitrator in both civil and trust/estate arbitration. My lengthy legal career has also encompassed other related areas of the law, including business and contract law, real estate and employee benefits. This broad knowledge serves me well in my estate planning work.
In my role at Henson Efron, I focus on:
- Estate planning
- Fiduciary administration of estates and trusts
- Mediation and arbitration of contested estates, contract disputes, and other civil law matters
I consistently approach my work with clients and colleagues with deep respect and empathy. I carefully listen to clients’ concerns, rather than try to lecture or impose standardized solutions. I believe compassion is essential in every interaction, because I recognize that each person brings unique capabilities to the conversation and offers something of value. I view building and maintaining relationships as integral to my daily work.
I am dedicated to learning and ongoing self-improvement, which requires keeping an open mind to new ideas and opportunities. As a lifelong learner, I enjoy both teaching – and taking – many Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses. In addition, I enjoy expanding my knowledge and experiences through active community involvement and leadership. I am honored to have been a past president and to continue to serve as a board member of the Sholom Community Alliance and Foundation. In addition, I am the current president of the Minneapolis Jewish Cemetery and a member of the Minneapolis Rotary Club #9.
“Lloyd has strong fiduciary and estate planning knowledge and experience. He’s a great listener and answers questions thoughtfully.”
“I appreciate Lloyd’s intelligence, integrity – and his sense of humor.”
“Lloyd uses creativity and common sense to solve problems. He is a class act, professionally and in his personal life.”
“I see Lloyd as genuine, sincere and smart. I admire his ‘get it done’ attitude and his willingness to always do his share.”
“Lloyd is responsive, approachable and reliable. He truly cares about people.
- J.D., New England School of Law, served on law review
- B.B.A. in business management, University of Miami (Florida)
- First Trust Company, 2016-2019
- U.S. Bank, head of its Estate Services Group in the Twin Cities, 1998-2016
- Felhaber, Larson, Fenlon & Vogt (now Felhaber Larson) partner, 1974-1998
- Earlier in his career, worked at Itek Corporation Optical Systems Division, 3M Corporation Space & Defense Products Division and West Publishing (now Thomson Reuters)
- Awarded highest attainable professional peer rating of “A” for legal ability and “V” for reputation by Martindale-Hubbell
- Enrolled as a “Qualified Neutral” under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice, and authorized to engage in both civil mediation and arbitration
- Named a Five Star Professional Wealth Manager in 2011 by Crescendo Business Services in partnership with Mpls/St. Paul Magazine and Twin Cities Business
- American Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Past Chair of Employee Benefits Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
- St. Paul Financial & Estate Planning Council, Member
- Minnesota CLE's Annual Probate & Trust Law Section Conferences, Planning Committee
- Sholom Community Alliance, Past President
- Sholom Community Alliance Foundation, Lifetime Board Member
- Minneapolis Rotary Club #9, Member
- Minneapolis Jewish Cemetery, President
- Co-Author,“Key Changes in Minnesota Trust Law” and“Pour Carefully When Decanting Irrevocable Trusts,” Minnesota Lawyer, 2016
- Co-Author of Chapter 8 on“Trustees' Duties, Powers, and Liabilities” in the Trust Administration Deskbook, published by Minnesota CLE, 2018
- Speaker at several CLE programs including:“Differences in Roles and Responsibilities of Fiduciaries under Directed vs. Discretionary Trusts”