“My approach is aggressive but disciplined, and I excel at identifying the strengths of my client’s case and finding the clearest path to a successful outcome. When a dispute arises, my clients know I will make a Herculean effort to win, without losing sight of the bigger picture or their bottom line.”
With diverse and extensive courtroom experience, I know how to sell a case. I relentlessly and aggressively work to convince judges and juries that your position is equitable and right. I guarantee that I will care for your case as if it were my own.
I have handled well over 500 depositions and litigated cases in federal and state courts throughout the United States regarding:
- contractual disputes
- business torts
- employment litigation
- construction litigation
- shareholder disputes
- federal and state securities disputes
- probate litigation
- bankruptcy litigation
Fueled by the unique combination of financial acumen and litigation moxie, I will strategically fight for you while protecting your best interests and bottom line. Most disputes have a financial implication, from balance sheets and cash flow statements to tax returns. With 10 years of accounting experience, I deftly investigate what the numbers mean, where they originated, and how they could have been manipulated.
I take the long view to create a lasting client relationship, providing value and a return on your legal investment. This means not over-litigating or over-billing in relation to the amount at stake. Initially, I set realistic expectations about the strength of your case—from creating a factual record to solidify your position to determining your potential recovery. I strive to settle when possible, as soon as possible, but if that’s not practical, then litigate to win.
- Obtained a jury verdict of nearly $2,000,000 on behalf of Governor Jesse Ventura in Ventura v. Kyle, 2012 WL 6634779 (D. Minn. 2012).
- Regularly represent employees and employers in disputes involving non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, restrictive covenants, trade secrets and other confidential information, and employee, officer, and director fiduciary duties.
- Successfully obtained insurance coverage and insurance-funded legal defenses in disputes involving officer and director liability, property damage, employee theft and misconduct, vehicular accidents, and professional malpractice claims.
- Successfully tried multiple disputes involving trustees, conservators, and guardians involving financial, personal care, and other fiduciary issues.
- Represent a variety of landlords and property owners in disputes with tenants, including eviction, collection, and property-damage proceedings.
- Regularly represent financial advisors, banks, and investment firms in contractual disputes.
- Represent shareholders and companies in disputes throughout the country involving statutory and common law fiduciary duties, securities laws and regulations, and tax and security whistleblower proceedings.
- Represent businesses and individuals in business-sale disputes, supplier and customer contractual and Uniform Commercial Code disputes, and various contractual disputes.
- Frequently represent businesses in disputes involving employee dishonesty and wrongdoing claims, which often involve complex financial analysis and extensive forensic analysis of electronic devices and data.
- Represent contractors, developers, condominium and homeowner associations, and landowners in construction disputes involving contractual, statutory warranty, and professional malpractice issues.
- Successful representation of personal care assistance agencies, home health care workers, and disabled individuals, resulting in a declaration that discriminatory statute is unconstitutional.
- Represent landowners in condemnation and eminent domain proceedings involving the governmental agencies’ right to condemn and the valuation of the condemned property.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Minnesota, 2003
- B.S., summa cum laude, Southwest Minnesota State University, 2000
- Minnesota Federal and State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Selected for inclusion in Minnesota Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition, 2014–2018
- Named a Minnesota Attorney of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer for Ventura verdict
- Recipient, Sidney P. Gislason Scholarship, University of Minnesota Law School
- Recipient, Accounting Program Outstanding Achievement Scholarship
- Recipient, Distinguished Student Scholarship
- Recognized as Southwest State University Outstanding Accounting Scholar, 2000
- Southwest State University Honors Program, 1996–2000
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors of Enviroleach Technology Resources (CSE: ETI) (OTCQB: EVLLF)
- Former Treasurer, Member of the Board of Directors, Christian Legal Society
- Member, Christian Men’s Business Connection
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business: Preventing Wrongful Interference with Non-competition and Non-solicitation Agreements," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, July 23, 2018
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business: Identifying and Safeguarding your Company's Trade Secrets," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, June 20, 2018
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business: The Enforceability of Non-competition, Non-solicitation, and Confidentiality Provisions in Minnesota,” Henson Efron Thought Leadership, May 16, 2018
- Author, “How to Prevent ‘Great Idea’ From Turning Into ‘Biggest Mistake’,” Upsize Magazine, February 2009
ADDITIONAL AREAS OF FOCUS
- Corporate accounting and taxation