Benjamin (Ben) HamborgAttorney, Associate
“Building a well-developed story is essential for every case. As a litigator, I am dedicated and skilled in the art of persuasive legal writing, which I use to weave the facts and nuances of your case into a compelling narrative that can influence thinking and alter perspectives.”Contact Me
I begin with the end in mind when gathering evidence and investigating facts. Extracting the critical information, I craft it into a convincing story, whether it’s for a demand letter, a motion for summary judgment, or a trial.
I advise and resolve complex legal and business disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants, on issues regarding:
- business torts
- construction defects
- breaches of contract
- intellectual property issues
- employment disputes
- real estate disputes
You can count on me to listen and pursue the goals that meet your objectives. I will handle the case in a manner that best suits your interests—whether that means preserving your reputation in the industry and community or addressing other concerns.
I strive to resolve disputes early, when possible. Sending a keenly persuasive demand letter can help you avoid litigation, and a well-honed summary judgment brief can circumvent a trial.
Effective writing underpins successful litigation at every level. I understand the subtleties of building a strong argument. I relish bringing the facts and the law together to convey a powerful story that supports your position and garners a successful outcome.
- Successfully assisted shareholders in a shareholder dispute obtain a Multimillion-Dollar Whistleblower Award from the SEC. The award was more than $6 million, which represents one of the largest SEC whistleblower awards in the history of Minnesota.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 2013
- M.A., Minnesota State University, Mankato, 2009
- B.A., summa cum laude, College of St. Scholastica, 2007
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Recognized in the 2021 & 2022 Edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch: Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Selected for inclusion in Minnesota Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® Edition, 2018-2021
- North Star Lawyer, Honored by Minnesota State Bar Association for commitment to pro bono service, 2015, 2016
- Selected for Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year 2014 for work on the Jesse Ventura trial team
- Note and Comment Editor, Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology
- Recipient, Dorothy O. Lareau Writing Award, 2011
- Finalist, Distinguished Thesis Award, 2009
- Recipient, Academic Excellence Award in History, Politics, & Culture, 2007
- Webster Scholar, College of St. Scholastica Honors Program, 2004–2007
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, English Department, Southwest Minnesota State University
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Co-Author, "President Biden Encourages Limits on Non-Compete Agreements in Executive Order," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, July 2021
- Co-Author, "Although Copyrights Vest Immediately, Enforcing Them Requires Another Step," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, April 16, 2019
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business: Preventing Wrongful Interference with Non-competition and Non-solicitation Agreements," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, July 23, 2018
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business: Identifying and Safeguarding your Company's Trade Secrets," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, June 20, 2018
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business: The Enforceability of Non-competition, Non-solicitation, and Confidentiality Provisions in Minnesota,” Henson Efron Thought Leadership, May 16, 2018
- Co-Author, "Protecting your Business Reputation Online," Henson Efron Thought Leadership, March 27, 2018
- Author, “John Wiley & Sons, Inc. v. Kirtsaeng: The Uncertain Future of the First-Sale Doctrine,” 13 Minn. J. L. Sci. & Tech. 899 (2012)
- Author, “Distort, Disfigure, and Destroy: The Manipulation of History and the Failure to Rebel in Gabriel García Márquez’s The Autumn of the Patriarch,” 13 Minn. English J. 34 (2009)