Maria PitnerAttorney, Associate
“Clients should expect their estate plan to be as unique as they are; it should never feel cookie-cutter. I work with clients to ensure their plans are tailored to reach their goals, preserving the things they value most and evolving as they do.”
Truly understanding my clients’ needs and objectives are key to the development of a strategic and meaningful plan, and fostering a relationship they can trust for the long term.
From creating an effective estate plan to helping clients navigate estate and trust administration matters, I assist with:
- preparation of wills and trusts, healthcare directives, and powers of attorney
- drafting trusts for minors, charitable trusts, and special needs and supplemental trusts
- business succession planning
- state and federal gift and estate tax law
- elder law
The estate planning process is inherently personal because of the information involved. As a compassionate and welcoming advisor, I listen carefully as you share your values, concerns, and motivating factors with me. Being able to create an estate plan that reflects your personal story while reaching your goals and objectives is what matters most.
When you are charged with administering an estate or trust, or, acting as guardian/conservator, the responsibilities often seem overwhelming. I serve as the bridge to explain complicated issues and simplify the process as you go. If a dispute should arise, you can rest assured that I am a staunch advocate who will vigorously represent your interests.
It is incredibly rewarding to make a tangible difference, providing my clients with the comfort of knowing that no matter what the future holds, they will be prepared for it.
- J.D., University of St. Thomas School of Law, 2017
- B.A., cum laude, North Dakota State University, 2014
- North Dakota
- Recipient, Dean’s Award Honors: Mediation, University of St. Thomas School of Law
- Recipient, Dean’s Award Honors: Community Justice Project Clinic, University of St. Thomas School of Law
- Recipient, Dean’s Award Honors: Legal Analysis Review, University of St. Thomas School of Law
- Judicial extern to the Honorable Elizabeth Cutter, Hennepin County Probate Court, January 2017–May 2017
- Summer Associate, Ruder Ware, 2016
- Certified Student Attorney: Elder Law & Community Justice, Interprofessional Center for Legal Services, August 2015–December 2016
- Summer Law Clerk, CHS, Inc., 2015
- Real Estate License, ND–Realtor, 2012–2014
- Youth Leadership Award Volunteer, Rotary, July 2009–Present
- Chapter President, Minnesota Justice Foundation, September 2014–2017
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Trust and Probate Section Member
- Co-Author, chapter addressing “Trustees’ Duties, Powers, and Liabilities,” Minnesota Trust Administration Handbook, Minnesota CLE, 2018-2019
- Co-Author, “Proposals and Prenups: What to do before – or after – you say I do,” Henson Efron Thought Leadership, February 2019
- Co-Author, “Understanding the New Tax Law Changes: Considerations for Estate Planning,” Henson Efron Thought Leadership, February 2018